This was dinner the other night. I wanted pasta, but something without red sauce, and hubs wanted vegetables. Voila! Linguine with roasted vegetables. Any vegetables would work, pick your favorite. I peeled the eggplant because I don’t like to eat eggplant skin, but you can leave it on if you want to.
Linguine with Roasted Vegetables
2 small zucchini
1 medium eggplant
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 pound linguine, or your pasta of choice
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried sage
• Chop the zucchini and eggplant into bite-sized pieces. I cut the zucchini into discs about 1/4-inch thick and the eggplant first into quarters lengthwise, then chunks 1/4-inch thick.
• Put the zucchini and eggplant on a cookie sheet and mix with about 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Roast in a 450-degree oven for 10 minutes, tossing halfway through. Turn the heat down to 400 degrees and roast another 10 minutes, again tossing halfway through.
• Meanwhile, chop the onion in a small dice and mince the garlic while preheating a saute pan with 1/8- to 1/4-cup extra-virgin olive oil (depending on how much oil you want in your pasta) over medium heat.
• Add the onion to the oil and cook 5-7 minutes, then add the garlic. Let it cook just a minute or two (be careful not to burn the garlic!).
• Add the dried herbs, mix well and cook for a minute or two.
• Add the cherry tomatoes and mix well.
• Meanwhile, boil water and cook your pasta according to the package directions. Make sure to add some salt to the water once it’s boiling.
• When the pasta is done, drain it and add it and the roasted vegetables to the oil and onion mixture.
• Add the juice of one lemon, mix well and serve.